Headache or cephalgia is the continuous pain in the head. The pain originates from the tissues and structures that surround the skull or the brain because the brain itself has no nerves that give rise to the sensation of pain (pain fibres). A headache can affect any part of the head, and pain may be present in one or several locations.
Factors that lead to headaches may be:
- Emotional, such as Stress, Depression, or Anxiety.
- Medical, such as migraine and high blood pressure Physical, such as an injury.
- Environmental, such as the weather.
Headaches can sometimes be mild, but in many cases, they can cause severe pain that makes it difficult to concentrate at work and perform other daily activities.
- Vascular Headache - Caused by Blood Vessel Swelling and increased blood flow (hyperemia), most common type being migraine.
- Tension Headache - Caused by tightening of facial and neck muscles.
- Traction Headache - Caused by pulling or stretching pain sensitive parts of the head.
- Inflammatory Headache - Symptoms of the other disorders such as sinus infection, meningitis etc.
Ayurveda broadly classifies headache (shirashoola) as 11 types each of which have their own etiological factors and pathogenesis. According to Ayurveda, basically shirashoola can be caused as a result of suppression of urges, day sleep, night vigil, exposure to wind, smoke, dust and heat, injury, alcohol consumption and exposure to undesirable smell, but the major two reasons are a sensitive nervous system and indigestion.
Improper diet and lifestyle causes vitiation of vata and kapha. Vata gets obstructed by kapha causing headache. As pain intensifies, pitta aggravates (ayurvedic humor representing fire) leading to production of ama (toxins) that obstructs manovaha srotas (mind channels) leading to headache.
Sensitive nervous system lowers ojas (energy) in the body. Ojas is the essence of all body tissues and provides strength to the nervous system and body and when lowered, it becomes a cause for headache.
Ayurvedic being the most traditional science has a holistic approach toward each disease and treatment is not focused on simply relieving pain but it aims at treating the root cause of the disease.
The team of doctors in Kooplicat Ayurveda Hospital understands the treatment of headache depending up on the underlying etiology or cause rather than treating it based on the symptoms which does not give a permanent cure but subsides for the time being. We provide customised treatments and diet that helps in permanent recovery with no recurrence of head ache.