Frozen shoulder, also known as adhesive capsulitis, is a condition characterized by stiffness, pain and reduced mobility of your shoulder joint. It is usually seen in women above 40 years of age. Signs and symptoms typically begin gradually, worsen over time and then resolve, usually within one to three years.
The bones, ligaments and tendons of shoulder joint are covered in a capsule of connective tissue. Frozen shoulder occurs when this capsule thickens and tightens around the shoulder joint, restricting its movement.
The thickening and tightening of shoulder joint capsule can be due to following reasons:
- After effect of an injury (usually after certain period of chronic injury).
- Overuse of joints (eg: weight lifters).
- Diseases like diabetes, stroke etc..
- Secondary to degenerative disorders, as in rheumatoid arthritis, cervical spondylosis etc..
Due to above said factors, the tissues around shoulder joint are stiffened. In turn, the scar tissue is developed around the structure of the joints. This causes restriction of movements to the shoulder joint.
As per Ayurveda, there are two main causes of frozen shoulder which is correlated as apabahuka in Ayurveda:
- External Causes : injury to vital parts of body or the region surrounding shoulder joint, excess exposure to wind, cold and sleeping in wrong posture.
- Internal Causes : diets and activities that aggravates vata (basic body element) such as excess pungent, bitter and astringent foods and cold exposure, diet and activities that aggravates kapha along with vata such as excess heavy food consumption.
Frozen shoulder or apabahuka can occur as a result of vitiation of vata( a basic body element) or aggravation of kapha along with vata which gets localised in the shoulder region and does the sankocha( constriction) of siras(veins) leading to severe pain, stiffness and restricted mobility of shoulder joint.
People with frozen shoulder disease generally apply analgesics steroids or anti-inflammatory medications. This relieves the pain for shorter amounts of time but doesn't solve the root cause of the disease. It's not a definitive cure for frozen shoulder disease. Thus, this results in recurring pain on different parts of the arm.
At Kooplicat Ayurveda Hospital, we help in the reduction of stiffness and pain by lubricating the joints using specific internal medicines and specialised therapies, exercises and personalised ayurvedic diet, thereby preventing recurrence of the disease. We do this only after analysing your constitution and the cause inorder to make the end result fruitful and worthy.