It is an autoimmune disease, where the hair follicles are being attacked causing hair to fall out in patches that maybe unnoticeable initially but can hamper the hair growth cycle eventually.
This skin ailment can affect all the hair bearing skin of the entire body with loss of only hair shaft or even the hair follicles creating a smooth scalp.
Alopecia being a cosmetic concern, can cause emotional problems in both genders which can affect their social life and daily activities.
Depending on the distribution, it can be classified as:
- ALOPECIA AREATA : where there is one or more round patches on the scalp and other places of body that grow hair. It is occasionally associated with other conditions such as thyroid or allergic disorders, rheumatoid arthritis and ulcerative colitis.
- ALOPECIA TOTALIS : results in hair loss across the entire scalp making you appear bald.
- ALOPECIA UNIVERSALIS : where hair loss is seen across the entire scalp face and other body parts which grow hair.
Ayurveda sees alopecia (indralupta) as the result of habituation to foods and conditions that are non-compatible and if indulged in excess can lead to disturbance of internal metabolism, such as:
- Foods : Excess salt food intake , eating without hunger and before digestion of previous meal.
- Psychological factors : mental stress, anger, anxiety.
Ancient acharyas mentioned alopecia as indralpta which comes under sira kapala rogas. According to Ayurveda, due to incorrect food habits, vata and pitta ( basic elemeNts of body ) gets aggravated and localises in the hair pores of scalp. This obstructs the microchannels (rakta and kapha) that supply nutrients to hair follicle, resulting in falling of tuft of hairs.
As per Ayurveda, it is necessary to reduce the aggravated doshas by purification of body and elimination of wastes through treatments that also improves blood circulation and promotes hair growth.
At Kooplicat Ayurveda hospital, we provide customised care in the form of external treatments and internal medications that helps in regeneration of hair and prevents from further recurrence of condition which rules out the need for you to opt hair transplantation or other chemical treatments as the only possible solution. We also provide personalised ayurvedic regime that you can incorporate in your daily routine to improve the quality of life. Equal care is provided to each individual not only as treatments but also as psychological reassure to create positivity and improve your productive mind.